The Admissions Process
The Admissions process at Legacy Academy is designed to bring the school and families together to create a perfect fit. The process is thorough, identifies your child’s unique, God-given abilities, and initiates the potential, life-long, relationship we desire to have with each family. Conversely, our goal is also to make sure that Legacy Academy and the University-Model® are right for your family.
1. Attend a “Get to know us” Meeting
We desire that your family is able to make the best possible decision for your children’s education. Each new family should attend a “Get to know us” and, if possible, observe in a classroom in order to start the admissions process. Because our academic approach is unique, we recommend that both parents attend a “Get to know us” meeting. Additionally, potential students are welcome during classroom observation.
2. Attend Your Family Interview
You will be contacted for a Family Interview with Legacy Academy administration. Both parents must be present at the Family Interview which typically lasts an hour. This time allows us to lay the UMS foundation of the partnership between parents and the support that is Legacy Academy staff and Administration. Your completed and returned enrollment package will allow Legacy Academy to schedule a Whole Child Assessment; the next step in the Enrollment Process.
Inquiry Packets are given only after a family has “met” us. This would be at the end of a “Meet & Greet” or after the family Interview. Sometimes, due to our own schedule, an Observation Day is scheduled prior to a “Meet and Greet” meeting. This should be rare. Making every effort to have a family attend a scheduled “Meet and Greet” is heavily encouraged.
3. Apply online and simultaneously pay the non-refundable application fee of $95.00.
4. Receive an Enrollment Application
Once you have paid the application fee, you will receive, complete, and submit a signed Enrollment Application. The Program Support Coordinator (PSC) emails the Enrollment Packet at the time the application fee has been paid and application has been submitted.
The document asks pertinent questions that allow us to best understand how God has uniquely created your student(s) and allows you as parents to give explanation of whom you know God innately created your child to be.
The family must return the enrollment packet within two weeks or the $95.00 fee will be forfeited. So, the PSC must immediately schedule a Family Interview (FI). Encourage parents to meet without children if possible since topics may be mature or concerning the student. If parents do not schedule FI within two weeks, the $95 is forfeited.
We schedule this on another day because it is too taxing for staff and families alike.
5. Whole Child Assessment within UMS
The University-Model® ensures your child has the optimal learning environment that best suits his or her skills and abilities. In order to accomplish this, Legacy Academy includes a Whole Child Assessment. During this assessment, students will interact with the proctor who will be looking for key indicators. Some of what these key indicators determine are aptitude, giftings, academic progress, curriculum ease, supplemental suggestions, and spiritual/emotional maturity level.
6. Await an Admissions Decision
Administration will respond with a letter within one week of your family and WCA interviews communicating a decision; one that undergoes much prayerful consideration by the Legacy Academy Leadership.
The Head of School will invite the applicable administration to pray over the decision. Any concerns can be addressed with the MM Board. The Program Support Coordinator will follow up as soon as a decision has been reached within the week. Once the decision is emailed/mailed, administration will follow up next day to confirm receipt.
7a. Submit fees
- If registered by April 1st, a $150 registration fee per student will be assessed. If registered after April 1st the registration fee per student will be $250.00. The registration fee is due no later than June 1st. A signed Family Responsibility Agreement is also due within 5 days of acceptance.
7b. Submit Required Documents
Submit originals or signed copies* of the following required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a one week deadline.
- Immunization Records (OR For Exemption Affidavit Forms visit: https://corequest.dshs.texas.gov)
- Birth Certificate (Original along with a copy must be submitted for verification)
- School Records (Previous/Current Grade Reports & Standardized Testing Reports)
- Recent Family & Student Photo
If Legacy Academy is the right fit for your student, with your help, we tailor a plan that is as unique as God created him/her; one that cultivates your child’s God-given interests, talents and purpose, with their most suited courses of study so that they are college-worthy and fully prepared to fulfill God’s impactful purpose for them. All of this alongside invested families and within a supportive community.
Frequently asked questions
What is Legacy Academy?
Legacy Academy is a Christian University-Model® school that seeks to strengthen families and uphold their Christian values by aiding parents in preparing college-ready, character-witnesses of Christ for the next generation. Utilizing the University-Model® school (UMS) approach, Legacy Academy blends the best aspects of traditional, Christian schooling and the investment of families for a completely unique, two-day, school week on campus. K- 9th Grade then receive detailed instruction at home on the alternate days with lesson overviews and materials from professionally degreed, Legacy teachers. This educational environment not only preserves and maintains the God-ordained family relationship, but offers students well rounded academic and elective classes that promotes each student’s unique, God-given abilities. Seeing students for who God created them to be is at the very heart of UMS. Please see the Mission and Purpose on the next page for more insight.
What is the application process for new students?
There is an online application form to complete with a one-time, non-refundable fee of $95 per family. Once the application form and fee are submitted online, the family will be contacted to attend an Observation Day and Meet & Greet Meeting. This is followed by a Family Interview and Whole Child Assessment. Once these steps have been completed, a family will receive an enrollment packet to be completed and returned to the school. The packet will be reviewed, and a decision will be made for admission (see previous page for more information).
What is the student body size?
The maximum number of students allowed per classroom is 16. Should enrollment exceed this number, classrooms will be split to accommodate the larger numbers. Alternatively, some classes may be combined if there is limited enrollment in more than one grade level.
What ages can attend?
For the fall of 2019, Legacy Academy is offering classes for K – 12th Grade. Our philosophy is that students will be assessed based on their Whole Child Assessment and not necessarily their birth date. For inquiries, contact email@example.com.
Do children get “recess” time to play?
Because classroom time is limited, your student’s time here on Tuesdays and Thursdays will be spent primarily on core instruction. However, students will participate in recess break after lunch. Lastly, classrooms and schedules are designed to keep kids moving and engaged throughout the day.
What other unique offerings does Legacy Academy provide for the 2019/20 school year?
- Honorablecharacter.com – this classroom management tool focuses on the heart; the responsibility of every child to honor God with his character rather than modifying his behavior
- Core classes focused on delight based learning on Monday and Wednesday
- Extra-curricular activities with additions 2019/2020 on Friday
- Family field trips that encourage family relationships and family time that allows for educational experiences in addition to academic instruction
- Legacy Academy also researches and communicates to LA Families local events, activities, groups, programs, and athletics to participate in. We also negotiate discounted rates for our families
What is the student schedule?
K-6th Students attend school on campus every Tuesday and Thursday, drop-off is at 8:15 a.m. and school will begin promptly at 8:30 a.m, dismissal is at 3:30 p.m. 7th-12th students attend school on campus every Monday, Tuesday & Thursday . Same drop off and pick up. Legacy Academy will primarily follow the Longview ISD calendar for the 2019/20 school year.
How much will it cost?
While Legacy Academy has established prices, several factors go into determining a student’s tuition cost. For example, the age and grade of a student, applicable discounts, and extracurricular selections will all affect a student’s tuition total. The tuition and fees page gives more explanation. What we can confidently say, is that Legacy Academy is the most cost effective, private school in Longview.
What is Legacy Academy’s dress code?
To show school spirit in the community, Legacy Academy requires uniforms. Specific details can be accessed in the “dress code” section of the Legacy Academy Family Handbook including Legacy’s ‘spirit day’ attire.
I have children in several different grade levels. How much time will each need to spend doing schoolwork on their days at home?
A rule of thumb at University-Model® schools is that for every hour spent in the classroom, the student will need to spend thirty minutes to an hour on that subject in the “satellite classroom” at home. This rule, of course, varies according to the particular subject matter, the student’s proficiency in the subject, or other circumstances that may affect your child’s capabilities. Parents should be aware of the various needs of their child and structure their time accordingly. As students move into the intermediate grades, there may be more time required to complete assignments as written essays and more complex materials are presented. However, students should become more disciplined and proficient at working independently as they move into upper intermediate and middle school grades.
What are the requirements for Legacy Academy families?
- Commitment to be a primary educator and mentor of your child
- Availability of time for successful completion of daily coursework
- Parent volunteering during each school year
- Commitment to purchase and read the book(s) annually chosen by Legacy Academy Administration for family and/or parenting guidance and growth
- Commitment to read and return Dr. John Turner’s book “Character Driven College Preparation”
How many University-Model® schools are currently operating in the United States?
The model was first implemented at a test school in 1993. Currently, there are more than 80 University-Model® schools in operation all over the United States, 35 of which are in Texas.
Why do colleges enthusiastically accept students from University-Model® schools? What makes UMS Students attractive to a college over other students?
Years of data collected on University-Model® school students report they have had no difficulty in gaining entrance to colleges and universities nationwide, including Ivy League universities. In fact, the majority of graduates have been awarded scholarships for academic achievement, student leadership, and athletic or artistic ability. University-Model® schools stay informed on the current and projected entrance requirements of the major four-year universities. This allows school officials to be sure that the course offerings are meeting or exceeding college standards. In addition, UMS students are attractive to colleges because of their strong work ethic, successful study habits, leadership skills, and character as demonstrated through various student activities—academic, athletic, artistic, and governmental.
How are UMS students doing on college entrance tests?
The UMS students score much higher on college entrance tests than the average scores nationwide.
What do UMS graduates who are in college say about how well-prepared they were in high school?
Data collected from graduates of the University-Model® report overwhelmingly that they were extremely well-prepared for their freshmen experience. The University-Model® system, not only academically prepares you, but scheduling, work ethic, and necessary study skills were dynamics to which they were already accustomed. It is also common for UMS graduates to commence their college careers with collegiate credits on their transcripts, allowing them exemption from several courses.Mission
“Cultivating Student Purpose Alongside Invested Families Within Supportive Community”
On the most fundamental level, Legacy Academy is based upon the passage of scripture found in Deuteronomy 6:5-9 HCSB:
5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. These words that I am giving you today are to be in your heart. 7 Repeat them to your children. Talk about them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Bind them as a sign on your hand and let them be a symbol[a] on your forehead.[b] 9 Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
We at Legacy Academy a certified, Christian University-Model® School implement this passage using a time-tested philosophy and inimitable system that truly integrates into one model the best attributes of home with the best attributes of traditional education. This educational model provides both a supportive, yet accountable community for like-minded parents who desire to discover and invest in their student’s distinctive, God-given purpose. The result is prepared, college-worthy, character witnesses for Christ. Legacy Academy’s vision explains how we practically accomplish this.
We at Legacy Academy use the following interdependent, educational paradigm:
We practically achieve our Vision by applying this paradigm to our Mission:
Cultivating student purpose:
- Legacy Academy gradually prepares students for a university-style schedule utilizing a five-day model, which takes place within a central, on-campus classroom two days per week and eventually three days per week depending on grade level.
- Legacy Academy seeks to inspire your student first, as a bearer of God’s image, and consequently, as a creation of His with remarkably specific and individual abilities that reflect Him in order to fulfill his/her unique, God-given purpose.
Partnering with invested parents:
- Legacy Academy gives parents the context of time and relationship to observe, acknowledge, draw out, and invest in their student’s unique, God-given purpose.
- Legacy Academy sees parents as primary guardians of their student’s spiritual, moral and academic education without being solitary.
Intentionally created supportive community
- Legacy Academy employs degreed teachers with areas of expertise that provide parents with coursework for their remaining off-campus or “satellite” days.
- Legacy Academy Faculty and Staff minister to families in a way that strengthens the family unit — the fundamental underpinning of a prepared student.
- Legacy Academy parents can expect partnership, continual communication, encouragement and professional academic expertise.
- Legacy Academy provides parents initial and ongoing professional, academic assessments of their student to aid parents in assessing progress.
“The University-Model® is neither a homeschool nor a homeschool cooperative. Neither is the UM a traditional classroom approach, like the schools most parents experienced growing up. Rather, the UM truly is a tertium quid – a third kind. By integrating into one model the best attributes of home with the best attributes of traditional education, the UM produces its own specialized dynamics, culture, energy, community, and exciting possibilities. ”
Dr. John William Turner, Jr.
Author, Character Driven College Preparation
- Love and Glorify God (1 Corinthians 10:31, 1 Peter 4:11)
- Help Fulfill the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20)
- Affirm, Encourage and Equip Parents (Deuteronomy 6:6-7, Proverbs 22:6)
- Educate with Excellence (Luke 2:52, Proverbs 1:2-7)
- Integrate Home and School (Deuteronomy 6:7-9)
Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative, inerrant Word of God (2 Timothy 3:15; 2 Peter 1:21).
- We believe there is only one God, eternally existent in three representations–Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Genesis 1:1; Matthew 28:19; John 10:30).
- We believe in the deity of Christ (John 10:33); His virgin birth (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23; Luke 1:35); His sinless life (Hebrews 4:15; 7:26); His miracles (John 2:11); His vicarious and atoning death (1 Corinthians 15:3; Ephesians 1:7; Hebrews 2:9); His resurrection (John 11:25; 1 Corinthians 15:4); His ascension to the right hand of the Father (Mark 16:19); His personal return in power and glory (Acts 1:11; Revelation 19:11).
- We believe in the absolute necessity of regeneration by the Holy Spirit for salvation because of the exceeding sinfulness of human nature, and that men are justified on the single ground of faith in the shed blood of Christ and that only by God’s grace, and through faith alone we are saved (John 3:16- 19; 5:24; Romans 3:23; 5:8-9; Ephesians 2:8-10; Titus 3:5).
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life, and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation (John 5: 28-29).
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 8:9; 1 Corinthians 12:12-13; Galatians 3:26-28).
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled and led to live a godly life (Romans 8: 13-14; 1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19-20; Ephesians 4:30; 5:18)
These statements are based on fundamental Christian beliefs that we strongly support as the primary doctrine for teaching. Legacy Academy does not promote or endorse any particular denomination. It is our desire to maintain this position for the purpose of unity and fairness to each student. Other doctrinal issues upon which this ministry has no official stance will be considered secondary doctrine and will not be taught. In the event secondary doctrine is brought up, students will be referred back to the family and church for final authority. We desire to remain united in the salvation and love of Christ, avoiding any dissension that may be caused by denominational differences.
2019-2020 Tuition and Fees
The Mind Map Board determines Tuition and Fees based on the reasonable financial needs of the school. Our desire is to be good stewards of what God has entrusted to us while at the same time being sensitive to the needs of our Legacy families. It is our desire to make Christian education affordable to as many families as possible.
Tuition K-6 7-12
1st Student – Full Tuition $3100 $3600
2nd Student – 5% off $2945 $3420
3rd Student – 10% off $2790 $3240
4+ Students – 50% 0ff $1550 $1800
*K-6 Grade Students will attend 2 days a week on campus (Tuesday and Thursday)
*7-12 Grade Students will attend 3 days a week on campus (Monday, Tuesday and
Tuition payments may be distributed over 10 months beginning August 1st , however, a 5% discount off the total family tuition will be offered if paid in full by June 1st. The tuition rate for the first student in a family will be based on the student on the highest grade level.
Fee K-6 7-12
Application Fee $95 $95
Registration Fee $150 by April 1 $150 by April 1
$250 after April 1 $250 after April 1 (However, not due until June 1st)
Curriculum Fee $200 $250
Student Fee $100 $125
Application Fee (one Application fee per family and only for new families) – Child Assessment, Family Interview and Record Keeping
Registration Fee – Certification/Accreditation, Ren Web, Accounting and Software Fees, Domain Names and Phone Service.
Curriculum Fee – Textbooks, Workbooks, Consumable Materials, Teacher Curriculum Materials, Tests, Quizzes, and Paper Copies.
Student Fees –Testing, Library Books, Advertising, Utilities, Maintenance, Copier
Expenses, and Office Supplies.
*Application Fee due when you apply online
**Registration Fee – even though the cost of registration is determined by April 1st the registration fee is due NO LATER THAN June 1st.
***Curriculum Fee & Student Fee may be distributed over 10 months beginning August 1st.
****Supply list will be given to you by August 15th for YOU to purchase supplies
2019/2020 School calendar
August 1st – Tuition Charges Commence
August 5th – Meet and Greet new staff
August 19th – 21st – All Staff On-campus for Training
August 22rd – On-Campus Parent Training
August 23rd – School Wide Assembly/Meet the Teacher
August 27th – First Day of School
September 2nd – Labor Day (observed)
November 25th – November 29th – Thanksgiving Break
December 20th- January 2nd- Christmas Break
March 9th – March 13th – Spring Break
April 17th – Easter Holiday (Good Friday)
May 14th – Last Day of School
2. Step One – Apply Online
By this time, you received an inquiry packet and have experienced a little bit of Legacy Academy. You can apply to Legacy Academy by clicking Admissions>Apply Now. Additionally, the non-refundable application fee of $95 per family is also due and payable online under Admissions>Tuition and Fees>Application Fee.
3. Attend Your Family Interview and Whole Child Assessment
After we have reviewed your application, your family will be contacted and scheduled for a Family Interview with the Admissions Team. Both parents must accompany the applicant(s) to the Family Interview which typically lasts 45 minutes. This positive experience will allow you as a family to have an even better understanding of your child’s abilities and talents; allowing you as parents to guide the academic course of who God innately created your child to be. These meetings conclude with obtaining an Enrollment Packet and Family Handbook.
4. The Value of the Whole Child Assessment within UMS
The University-Model® ensures your child has the optimal learning environment that best suits his or her skills and abilities. In order to accomplish this, Legacy Academy includes a Whole Child Assessment completed specifically by our experienced Head of School. During this assessment, students will interact with our Head of School who will be looking for key indicators. Some of the things these key indicators determine are aptitude, giftings, academic progress, curriculum and supplemental suggestions, and spiritual/emotional maturity level. Primarily, if Legacy Academy is the right fit for your student, with your help, we tailor a plan that is as unique as God created him/her; one that matches your child’s God-given interests and talents with their most suited course of study so that they are college-worthy and fully prepared to fulfill God’s impactful purpose for them.
5. Complete an Enrollment Application
Once you have applied, paid the application fee, conducted your Family Interview and completed a Whole Child Assessment, you will submit a signed Enrollment Packet. The document contains instructions on how to complete and return.
6. Await an Admission Decision Contingent on Completed Enrollment
Once an enrollment packet is received, Administration will respond with a letter communicating a decision; one that undergoes much prayerful consideration by the Legacy Academy Team.
6a. Submit Required Documents
E-mail or submit copies of the following required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Immunization Records (OR For Exemption Affidavit Forms visit: https://corequest.dshs.texas.gov)
- Birth Certificate
- School Records (Previous/Current Grade Reports & Standardized Testing Reports)
- Recent Family & Student Photo
6b. Submit a $175 registration fee per student, online under Tuition and Fees, as well as, a signed tuition contract due within 5 days of acceptance. NOTE: Registration fees are discounted for earlier enrollment.
New families enrolling before May 31, 2018 – $100 Registration Fee
March 1st – May 31st – $135 per student
June 1st – July 1st – $175 per student
After July 1st – a late registration fee of $200 applies